send a link
join email list
 contact info and credits
Biography  
It is currently 28 May 2020, 18:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: new music
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 11:11 

Red House Records has just released an album called Red Horse, featuring Eliza Gilkyson, John Gorka and Lucy Kaplansky. It contains 3 songs penned by each, plus 3 covers. Each artist sings lead on one of their own songs and and one by the other two (for instance, John Gorka sings his song, If These Walls Could Talk, plus Don't Mind Me by Lucy and Wild Horse by Eliza). I'm really enjoying it, and thought I'd spread the word.

As for "Maura content," Lucy Kaplansky covers Blue Chalk on this album. One more song that both ladies have recorded (if I remember correctly, both Maura and Lucy have covered Crazy Dreams by Paul Brady, too).

Post subject: Re: new music
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2010, 20:20 

Thanks Teresa,

I was listening to a few samples on line...I really think I might purchase that!

It reminds me of the album, "Cry, Cry, Cry," that came out about 10 years ago (Dar Wiliams, Richard Shindell, and Richard Shindell)...

I think I will have to pick up your suggestion!

Thanks
Mike

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2010, 12:23 

We got to see John Gorka recently at the Turning Point in Piermont NY and he spoke about this record, it sounds really good, John was quite proud of it. He is an excellent singer/songwriter/performer.

I have Cry Cry Cry and was always hoping they would do another. Well, this sounds just as good.

Thanks for the mention guys! Hope everyone is enjoying their summer so far!

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2010, 13:29 

I, too, have the Cry Cry Cry album, but I have heard Lucy Kaplansky say that it was a one-off sort of thing and they probably will never do a follow-up. As for Red Horse, since the three are label mates, I could see them putting out more records. If I have the chance, I will try to ask (I'll be seeing John Gorka and Eliza Gilkyson at the Falcon Ridge Folk Festival next week!!!!).

I like the original studio album-versions of the songs on Red Horse, but I'm really enjoying the stripped-down versions on this album. It's the sound that you're more likely to hear at a show (just with great harmony vocals) :D

tm

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2010, 06:06 

Have a great time at Falcon Ridge!

I know you'll enjoy John's show; he is also very funny and friendly. At our recent show he let people make requests and got to most of them. (I heard Blue Chalk, that way and my wife got to hear Stranger with Your Hair). During the song "Trees", someone in the audience handed out little bunches of leaves (very small branches) and during the refrain when John sings "reach for the sky", everyone held them up over their heads and waved them, kinda corny but cute.

So at the end of the show, John says, deadpan,: "if you'd like to buy any records, my road manager, will be set up near the door and he'd be happy to sell you one. ...ahem..his name is also 'John', some coincidence;........ oh and he kinda looks like me.........oh and he'll sign them for you too!"

I am going to buy the Red Horse CD right now, it wasn't out yet then, very excited.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2011, 16:34 

I have been listening to the new cd from Adele called "21" and it is absolutely amazing. Go out and get this one!