send a link
join email list
 contact info and credits
Biography  
It is currently 28 May 2020, 19:11

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: No Very Jerry Christmas this year
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2010, 09:31 

Last Christmas season MO blew through town in the ensemble called Very Jerry Christmas, with Jerry Douglas and John Oates (of all people).

I was hoping this might be an annual event, but, alas, not so. Jerry is playing (I believe) on tour with Elvis Costello, supporting EC's new album of great music, NATIONAL RANSOM, with terrific backing musicians including Jerry Douglas, called the Sugarcanes!

Last year's show at the High Line Ballroom was much fun, good memories of it here.

Post subject: Re: No Very Jerry Christmas this year
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2010, 10:27 

Hi Bob,

Jerry is doing one Christmas Show @ the 12 South Taproom on Dec. 17 and Maura will be singing a few tunes.

Road trip to Nashville? 8)

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2010, 07:25 

dang, Pat, I can't get down to Nashville, wish I could that venue and the show looks great. Fantastic beer selection at the 12 South Taproom to boot! Last year's show was a blast.

I checked out Jerry Douglas's mates in the SugarCanes (backing group for Elvis Costello), and particularly fiddler Stuart Duncan. And one link led to another and then to to another and another, etc. and then I found out that the band Nashville Bluegrass Band, which Stuart is in was on the soundtrack of O Brother, Where Art Thou? as the Soggy Bottom Boys. I seems like they did a lot of the music dubbing for George Clooney, et al.

Well I went to wikipedia the soundtrack of that film and lo and behold, listed at the end are all the musical personnel on the soundtrack. A virtual who's who of folk, country and bluegrass performers. And there on the list is Maura O'Connell for "vocals" (of course). I never knew that!

What song(s), anybody know?

Now I think I have got to get that soundtrack (it sold like 7million copies (I think), so I am a little late to the dance.)

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 10:30 

Hi Bob,

I think Maura sang back up vocals on Down To The River To Pray.

Maura said she was having a hard time logging on to this site. Hopefully they can work out the kinks and she can chime in soon.