send a link
join email list
 contact info and credits
Biography  
It is currently 26 May 2020, 00:59

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Aspen/Denver Shows
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 15:38 

Aspen - First Set - To Be The One - Spinning Wheel - No Place To Hide - Salley Gardens - Blue Train - Summerfly - I Know My Love - The Weakness In Me - Shades of Gloria - Feet of a Dancer(For B-Day Boy Jesse!) - Second Set - The Blacksmith - Hay Una Mujer Desaparecida - Poor Man's House - Blue Chalk - It Don't Bring You - Poetic Justice - Love You In The Middle - Galileo - Western Highway - The Blessing

Denver Show was one long set. Pretty much the same as above - minus The Blacksmith - plus A Far Cry and encore of Crazy Love

Post subject: Re: Aspen/Denver Shows
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 16:04 

Wanted to post the setlist first and comment later since I spent over an hour on the first draft and it got erased when I pushed the submit button.

Aspen was a blast. Spent all day Friday at Buttermillk Mtn with fresh powder turns and empty trails. After snowboard recovery at the Hot Springs. Pre show food and drinks at the Hotel Jerome. I like having two sets or concertus interuptus as Maura says. It must be brutal to go at it on stage for over an hour at 8,000 elevation. I heard there was an oxygen tank backstage. Could have used some too! Lots of first timers in the audience. About 1/2 to 2/3 full? Great venue!

Much different vibe for the Denver show. The house was packed full of Maura fans young, mostly older. Lots of applause, laughter, audience participation during the two singalongs(I Know My Love and Crazy Love). John/Maura did one of the best Western Hwys that I have ever heard. Maura was in the zone all night other than one small flub during No Place. I like the litlle flubs here and there. Makes us all realize that Maura IS actually human even though her voice is otherworldly. The venue was hot/dry and Maura chugged about a gallon of water(we all did). John Mock was on guitar and tin whistle, Don Johnson on bass, Dave Francis on guitar, all three were excellent as usual. My sister was at the Denver show as a first timer. She fell in love with Maura and the venue. Great place for kids and the community. She is going to join as a member.

The drive from Aspen to Denver was brutal going over the Vail Pass and after the Eisenhower Tunnel. There was a 40 mile traffic jam going the other way towards the resorts. I heard Maura and the Boys hit the same traffic going out to Aspen. BB King played the same night in Aspen as Maura and was supposed to be in Denver the next night but couldn't make due to the snow.

Thank you Maura and The Boys for another memorable adventure!

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2011, 08:33 

Pat-

You are lucky, the shows sounded fantastic, and the write-up appreciated.

The singing along, however, except for the Chorus of the great "Crazy Love", I am not used to that being done, wow.

I love Charlie McGettigan's "Feet of a Dancer", the feeling and the sentiment of that song is so strong, good for Maura for singing it (one of my favs) and for Jesse too! I think Maura included a great song to a son, (for Jesse), by the incomparable John Prine, on an earlier album, the song is called "Sleepy Eyed Boy", lovely.

The traffic sounded awful, but living around NYC, it's par-for-the-course, here.

I was in Denver only once, and never out to the resorts, whenever I think of Aspen, I always think of John Denver. (I was a huge fan of the very early John Denver, after he left The Chad Mitchell Trio, but before he starred in movies and such.) I guess Maura didn't throw in a John Denver song, maybe say "Poems, Prayers and Promises" or "Leaving on a Jet Plane", for local flavor, eh?

Anyway, glad you got to enjoy the snow and those shows!

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2011, 18:53 

Maura is getting quite adventurous with the singalongs...Now if she would just let us clap on Summerfly! LOL

The show sounds great, Pat. Maura comes to the east coast with some regularity, but it is never enough!
Sorry about the traffic, by the way....I get so frustrated in traffic...(weak kidneys...LOL)

By the way, I really like John Denver, Bob...Miss his music terribly.

Anyhow, I hope all are well. (on this snowy, icey evening here on the east coast)