join email list
 contact info and credits
Biography  
It is currently 27 Jun 2022, 02:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Woe is me!
PostPosted: 14 May 2007, 04:40 

I've got to get creative folks.

I've been waiting for my Maura "fix" for what seems way too long, then, BOOM, heavens! I must be dreaming--there she is, coming to The Handlebar in Greenville, SC, on May 25th. Why, that's only an hour away! WHOOPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :cry:

That's my stepson's graduation day and dinner. Cannot tell you what a downer it was to figure this out. The schools should be penalized for so poorly coordinating the graduation! Letters to the editor of the local paper! A petition asking to move the date, perhaps. Hmmmmmmmmm...

Well, Maura is going to be 4 hours away in Atlanta the night before and about 3 hours away the next day...some kind of creative solution is what I'm looking for here. Any thoughts?

Mac, would Maura and the band drive one hour south after The Handlebar show? I could feed them really, really well and we could have a fire going in the back yard, they could take their shoes off and sit in rocking chairs, we could drink wine and sing all night long...how does that sound? Seems a reasonable request to me...what do you think? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 May 2007, 05:14 
Site Admin

Sorry Despina, Maura and the guys are all business on the road!

I'm sorry to hear about your scheduling conflicts, and hope you can make it to one of the other shows.... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 May 2007, 14:32 

Sorry to hear that you'll be missing it... Why not try for one of the others? Three hours seems reasonable - make a mini-vacation of it!
It's been too long since she's been in my area too, so we're taking a trip to see the show at the Handlebar - I'll let you know how it goes, although it's certain to be great, right?
I'm hoping to hear Galileo again - She sang it at a show I saw last year (it's not fair for her to sing such a lovely song that isn't on any of her CDs for us to listen to at home!). Speaking of CDs, isn't a new one coming out soon? This year??? All a capella, right? It's been a long wait!
Maura - I can't wait for the show - I'm still waiting to hear "The Water Is Wide" live (hint :wink: )...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 May 2007, 19:52 

Maine, we would normally make the trip, but...I am in a difficult situation with my father's failing health. He is down from 88lbs to 75, had surgery to mend two fractures on his spine and is in a nursing home one hour away from my home and work. We are not doing well.

I do, however, know that life goes on and that those who can should celebrate. I hope you kick up your heels and take notes to report back to all of us. I agree--of course, it will be wonderful. Ms. Mo is indescribably and amazingly fabulous and entertaining. We will just have to catch up with her at another time. :cry:

Please, please be sure to enjoy the show for us as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 May 2007, 06:41 

Despina, I'm sorry to hear that your father isn't doing well. That's a very difficult situation...
Be sure to make time to take care of yourself too.
I will definitely enjoy the show and give a report after we get back home to Wisconsin. I'm not sure about taking notes though - might be tough to do with a glass of wine in my hand!! We'll have to see how good my memory is!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 May 2007, 18:32 

Despina, I'm sorry to hear about your father. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 May 2007, 19:50 

Despina...I am sorry, as well, to hear about your father. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Life can be pretty tough, at times..
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 May 2007, 19:28 

Thank you, all, for your concern.

Maine, I'm sure that everyone is looking for The Handlebar Report. Safe trip home and let us know how much fun you had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 May 2007, 06:28 

Despina-

I am sorry, too, to hear of the failing health with your Dad; with Father's Day coming- - - give him an extra hug and kiss. I am in the same boat with mine, and that's about all he appreciates any more.

My Prayers are with your family. Take care.

-Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2007, 05:24 

Thanks, Bob. I know you understand, as do so many others who've been through all this before.

I cannot offer that he's been a perfect man, but he's always been a loving and giving father to me and my sister. The sadness comes in seeing him suffering and wondering why it has to be this way.

You are right, all you can do at this stage is show him love, appreciate and enjoy to good moments you get in return and be open to lessons from this experience. What's amazed me is the stories he comes up with sometimes--they're so funny! He may not realize that it's Father's Day when it comes, but he does realize that he's loved when he gets kisses all over his little bony face. :lol:

Bob, you're all heart.

Only the best people here on Ms. Mo's site!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2007, 11:35 

Despina -
I hope that you are doing well.
I'm so sorry that it's taken so long to post this reply. We got back from SC and I've been so busy every since - a wedding in the works, end of school year for the girls, summer plans, work, etc... The weeks flew by. AND - I regret that I did not take notes at the concert... While listening I was certain that I would remember everything, but...
Here's what I can share - the Handlebar was very interesting and Greenville is such a nice city. Maura was fantastic, of course, and did most of her usual set including a lot of songs from the latest album, Galileo, some a capella - which is always amazing (except there was a fan making a lot of noise for about half of My Lagan Love), Blue Train, Blessing, The Shades of Gloria (lovely) ...
She sang her "guilt" songs - Pheonix Falling, Stories, and It Don't Bring You.
My apologies for any mistakes in the song list - it's been awhile since the concert and my memory may not be perfect!
It was, however, a great show!
I have to say that I was VERY excited to come to the website today and see a couple of Wisconsin concerts coming up - YIPPPEEEE!!!! And one of them just 15 minutes from my house! It'll be the first Maura concert in quite awhile that I can see without a looong road trip or flight. I am very excited!!!
Again - Despina - sorry for the late posting and sketchy details - next time I should bring a notebook...
Maura - thanks for another great show! See you in WI in a few months!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jun 2007, 04:54 

Maine, thank you! You are so sweet to do this for ALL of us. We love the way this lady sings, and she's such a great performer. Some people can sing, but they're dry and dull on stage. Not so with our Ms. Mo! :D

Don't take a notebook, unless you're writing for the paper. You've got to just go in (like you did) and let the music wash over you--be a part of the total experience.

You reminded me, with the telling of the loud and rude person, of the last time we saw Maura at The Handlebar. There were lots of rude, loud and beer bottle-clincking people in the balcony. Well, let's just say that Maura found a way to put them in their place and the entire audience applauded and laughed. She GOT them.

Thanks for the report. I've just got to find a way to see her elsewhere. I know that you'll enjoy the upcoming shows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jun 2007, 06:28 

Despina-
You are right about Maura's performances - soooo much better than anyone else I've ever seen. I always feel a bit guilty - her ticket prices are too low and I've paid much more to see people that don't even come close to her... It's nice that her tickets are so reasonable - quite a bargain, but it just doesn't seem right.
As for loud fans - I should have been more clear. In this case the fan was a mechanical one - an air conditioner or something. I enjoyed your story though - I can only imagine, she does seem to be a spunky one! It's nice that she stopped them - it's very frustrating to go to a concert and put up with obnoxious people. It reminds me of the first time I saw her perform. Someone's cell phone went off in the middle of a song. She didn't miss a single word. But... you know that look that all of us mothers have? The one that says "Uh, what exactly do you think you are doing?". Well, I'll just say that I don't think that that person will ever leave their phone on during another concert!
I hope that she performs near you again soon - when you're schedule is open! I'm really looking forward to her Milwaukee visit - it's been awhile since she's been here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jun 2007, 18:44 

FAN--I get it now!!!! :o